pages (don't edit or move)

navbar home aboutme review policy reviews

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Review: Dragon Blue- A Lie That's True by Macy Babineaux!



Miranda Betts works as a waitress in a roadside diner in Oklahoma. Her life will change when a mysterious female customer leaves an ornate necklace in lieu of paying her check. Later, alone in her trailer, she tries on the necklace and is transported to a strange land full of people who can shift into other creatures, including fearsome dragons. And everyone thinks she's someone she's not. 
Corban Everfrost leads the clan of blue dragons and rules the Icelands after the mysterious disappearance of his father. While investigating the appearance of strange interlopers from another world, his sister informs him that he is to be wed to the daughter of the Wildfire clan who has been in exile on Earth since she was an infant. Corban wants nothing to do with a new bride or the Wildfires. But when he sees the dark, fiery woman brought to his world via a magic necklace, she stirs something within him. 
At first, Miranda thinks Corban is a jerk. He thinks she's an outcast from a clan he despises. But soon they will learn each other's secrets, and as they learn to love each other their relationship may be the key to saving all of Xandakar from dark forces from another world. 
Dragon Blue is the first book in a planned 5-book series, The Dragonlords of Xandakar. It contains lots of fast-paced action, VERY steamy love scenes, and a happy ending.



I'm a sucker for a good paranormal romance, everyone knows this by now. Dragons have become one of my new favorite shifters to read about, so I was super excited when I got the opportunity to review this one! First off, look at that cover! *swoon* It's gorgeous! And I am happy to report that the story behind the cover is just as good.

One of the most important things for me in a paranormal romance tale is the way an author writes. It takes a special author to be able to weave a great story about mythical creatures and far-away lands and capture the reader completely. I was completely drawn into this story! This was the first novel I've ready by Macy, but it definitely will not be the last and a large part of that was her writing style. It's very unique and different than anything I've read before. There's a special something about it I can't quite put my finger on. It's risqué and humorous, yet  the characters feel real at the same time. Dragon Blue is told in two alternating POVs that are distinctive. Normally I'm not a huge fan of alternating POVs, but it works with the plot. I enjoyed being able to get into both of the main character's heads and exploring them more as characters that way. Miranda was my favorite of the two. She's sassy, quirky, yet brave and a little bit dirty. She's more than your average cookie cutter heroine and that's why I like her.

The storyline is intriguing and this story was a great introduction to the series. Though the book doesn't end in a cliffhanger, which I enjoyed, it still left me anxious to continue reading about these characters and this exciting new world filled with rivaling dragon clans. The little bit we got to know and see of the different clans was fascinating and I'm hoping to learn more about them in future books. 

The only thing stopping this book from being a 5 star instead of a 4 star rating was that the characters fell in love a little too quickly for my liking. It seemed like one page they went from not caring for one another to them being in love. I would have liked to see a little more build up in their relationship before that point. With that said, I was still a sucker for the romance. It's sweet, yet spicy. There is quite a bit of steam throughout the whole story, but is not too prevalent. I enjoyed that the sensual aspect of the story did not over shine the world building and character development. I think that balance is very important, especially in the first book of a series. 

In short, I loved this world and cannot wait to visit again! If you're looking for an exciting new paranormal romance series to try out, definitely give this one a try. The writing and storyline are awesome!

4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment