pages (don't edit or move)

navbar home aboutme review policy reviews

Monday, November 12, 2012

Review: The Selkie by Rosanna Leo!



Synopsis:
This was supposed to be her year. However, after losing her job and discovering her fiancĂ© cheating, Maggie Collins has her doubts. When her grandmother dies, she hits rock bottom. Maggie travels to her grandmother’s home in Orkney, Scotland to sort through her gran’s things, only to discover the old woman has left her a seal pelt as her inheritance. She also learns that others are after the pelt.

To add to her frustration, Maggie’s dreams are filled with luscious images of a long-haired man, images that draw her to the magical beaches in Orkney. Although she’s lost her trust in men, this dream man inspires her with a lust she’s never known before.

Calan Kirk has also been dreaming. Dreaming of Maggie, the mortal woman who arouses him as no other woman ever has. Meeting her in the flesh when she arrives in Orkney is nothing short of spontaneous sexual combustion. But she is a human, and not to be trusted. He needs the seal pelt, not a red-haired temptress.

As a thief ransacks Maggie’s grandmother’s house, Maggie and Calan are thrust together. They must search for the animal skin, a mythical relic which once found, will either bring them together or rip them apart forever.

My Review:
This book was the first I'd read about Selkies and from Rosanna Leo. I'll be reading more from both! :)

When I first discovered Selkies were seal shape shifters, I was torn between thinking that I could never find a seal man sexy, and thinking that this would be a great way to broaden my love for all things paranormal. I was wrong about the former- definitely wrong- and right about the latter. From the moment the story began, I was enthralled by both the way Rosanna told the story and by the fascinating myth of the Selkie people. She draws you completely into the story with the way she writes. She'll make you fall in love- not just with the characters, but with the sea and the landscape in the story.

Set mostly in the beautiful Scotland, filled with myth, romance, mystery, and extremely sexy scenes, this novella is definitely worth picking up. There's also quite a bit of scenes that are funny and touching. There was never a moment that I wasn't smiling, laughing, or in tears. I found myself wanting to research Selkies and Finman even more after finishing the story. The ending alone is worth ten stars, I nearly bawled like a baby because it was so beautiful.

Calan Kirk, yes it makes me think of Star Trek and there is a joke about the show, stole my heart the moment he entered the story. I knew right away that I had to add him to my list of fictional loves- at the top, no less. This mostly immortal man is as charming and handsome as he is strong. He's everything a woman could want in a man (including a sexy accent), complete with a hearty appetite- for more than just food. Maggie, the mortal, has hit rock bottom. She's lost everything and doesn't know anything except that she's been dreaming about a gorgeous man and a seal. When the pair meets the chemistry is absolutely explosive. They both fight their feelings for each other for a bit, so the fire grows even hotter!

There are several other great characters in the story. I loved the glimpse at all of Calan's family, and adored his oldest brother and his wife. They're such a cute couple.

This story is captivating, beautiful, and erotic. It's a quick read, but one that is endlessly entertaining and one that I can see myself reading again. (That's why it ended up on my favorites shelf!) It packs quite a punch for being 160 pages. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great, unique story in the paranormal romance genre.

I really hope that Rosanna writes more about her sexy Selkie men! I'll be waiting eagerly!

5/5

Happy Reading!
Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment