pages (don't edit or move)

navbar home aboutme review policy reviews

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

*This is one of several covers for this book*
Synopsis:
A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love—with a human—in this astonishingly original debut novel.

R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn’t enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Not just another zombie novel, Warm Bodies is funny, scary, and deeply moving.


My Review:
This is the first Zombie book I've ever read. It's the only paranormal creature that I've avoided on purpose. I mean, who would want to read about dead people that eat brains and can't articulate worth a damn? To me, that didn't sound worth my money at all, let alone something I would enjoy.

I picked Warm Bodies up after I saw the trailer. I know that's the one thing fans of the book dread hearing. Well, in my case, I picked the book up because I know the book is always better than the movie. The trailer looked good, slightly cheesy, but good. Zombies that can cure themselves? That can become alive and fall in love again? That didn't sound so bad. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the twisted romance/post-apocalyptic mash up.

First off, let me say that the ending was slightly cheesy, but in a cute way. (Supposedly there is a sequel in the works- not sure how I feel about that. I personally think the book should be left as is- unless it is a really good sequel and knowing Isaac it will be.) However, Marion's unique and spectacular writing makes up for that and more. Holy cow. I don't usually toss around the word beautiful when it comes to the way some authors write, but I can honestly say that Isaac Marion's writing is beautiful, lovely, gorgeous, etc. The dialogue, especially R's parts was slightly weird to me because of all the broken up words and ellipses (which I understand is necessary because he is a zombie), but the things going on in his head really make the novel shine. Despite R's limited vocabulary, I fell for him. That's not an easy thing to do considering he's a zombie and until now I strongly disliked them.

One thing that scared me about this book is that I'm a tad squeamish and am not a horror fan at all. While this book was a tad gruesome at times, never once was I creeped out nor did I think anything was too disgusting. It's really well done and actually drew me into the story even further. 

I think the best way to describe this book is to call it beautifully gruesome. 
The reader will discover hidden meanings within the story about life and about humanity. 

5/5

Movie trailer link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07s-cNFffDM

Happy Reading!
Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment