pages (don't edit or move)

navbar home aboutme review policy reviews

Friday, January 16, 2015

Author Interview: Ryan Mark!

The life William knew has gone. His world has been left devastated by the Fossil War. All major governments have been wiped out and the land is now under the control of the company Terrafall. Although Terrafall's intentions seem honest, William wonders if the company will live up to its promises and stop the tremors, which have been plaguing the Earth since the end of the war. And can Terrafall really find out who is behind the recent wave of abductions?  When someone close to William disappears, he decides it's time to take matters into his own hands. But in a land that is on the verge of tearing itself apart, is it a life worth fighting for? If your world was falling apart, how far would YOU go to save it?



Ryan Mark lives and writes in the rural county of Cumbria, on the outskirts of the Lake District. Tremor is Ryan's debut novel and is the first book in The Tremor Cycle, a Dystopian series that takes place in a world devastated by war. Ryan currently teaches in a pre-school, caring for children before they take their first big leap into primary school. He is passionate about: writing, equality and helping children learn to read. He has always loved to write and create different worlds, drawing his inspirations from his family and the place where he lives. 

Links:

Website: http://www.ryanmark.co.uk      

Amazon:






Tell my fans a little bit about yourself and your books. 

I’m Ryan and I live and write in the rural county of Cumbria, on the outskirts of the Lake District in the United Kingdom. Tremor is my debut novel and is the first book in The Tremor Cycle, a Dystopian series that takes place in a world devastated by war. As well as writing, I also currently teach in a pre-school, caring for children before they take their first big leap into school. 


How would you introduce your book to someone that has yet to read it?

Tremor will make you consider the following question: If your world was falling apart, how far would you go to save it? 


What made you to start writing?

I started writing as a means to funnel my creativity. Getting it all down on paper was the easiest way to do this, and once these ideas appeared in writing I was able to make sense of them and form them into meaningful stories. 


What advice would you give to an aspiring author?

Make sure you pace yourself. Don’t rush. Patience is vital. Writing a book takes time. And please, don’t think your book will never be published! There are so many options available to aspiring authors these days that giving up is becoming a thing of the past – as it should!


What’s your favorite scene/line from your works? 

A song from Tremor that the main character, William, sings:

I've been hoping for something so unreal,


A life that could never be.


And now as the sun fades beyond the horizon,

I'm lost and deep in my dreams.


But now I'm not dreaming, I'm human, it’s real.

A life that could never be.


How do you find the book writing process?

Relaxing, stressful, upsetting, thrilling, eye-opening, satisfying – I can’t really use one emotion to describe writing a book (exactly how I felt when writing Tremor) as you feel each and every one. It’s a big mash up of them all – like a big bowl of mash potato emotions. 


Do you have a routine when you write? A place where you like to write?

I need to make sure that the area I’m writing in is clean and in order so that there is nothing that can distract me, or appear in the corner of my eye (I have OCD – can be a blessing, but can be a curse.) and I must be sat on a squishy surface with a cup of tea close by. Emphasis on the ‘squishy’.


What are you currently working on?

Tremor: The Fracture, book number 2 in the Tremor Cycle 


What books did you read as a child? 

Anything by Marcus Sedgwick, and I absolutely loved the Goosebumps books by R.L Stein. They still scare me now!


How has your life changed since you began writing?


My life has changed for the better. I’ve met some amazing people and made some great friends. Although writing can be a relatively solitary process most of the time, it has brought me friendships and made a positive impact on my life.


Do you listen to music while you write? 

The majority of the time – I mostly listen to piano compositions or epic instrumentals. 


What's been your favorite moment as an author? 

Receiving feedback from readers – it’s great knowing that your work is being read – this is one of the best feelings I’ve felt. 


Out of all of your characters, who is your favorite? 

Ichabod. He’s cool.


What do you want readers to take away from your books? 

Enjoyment… I’d really love for my book to have a positive impact on reader’s lives, and what better way to achieve positivity than through enjoyment!


Favorite book character?

Valerian – from The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgwick


Do you have any interesting dreams or goals? 

Many people want to see the northern lights, and I’m one of them. They are magical and inspire me. I think they prove that magic is real… Please, take that lightly ;)

Also, and I know it’s probably clichéd, I’d like to visit all of the Earth’s continents, to experience some of the vast ranges of cultures on this planet. 


Where do you see yourself in five years?

Hopefully, I’ll have the Tremor Cycle finished, and I’ll be working on another writing project – I’ve got something in mind – something magical…


Where can fans find you? 


Twitter: @Author_RyanMark 

and at my website: www.ryanmark.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment