pages (don't edit or move)

navbar home aboutme review policy reviews

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pulse of Heroes by A. Jacob Sweeny Review




Synopsis:
A suspenseful, passionate, paranormal romance that sweeps through the emotions of first love and heartache as it traverses centuries and continents.

Michelle used to feel like she was behind in everything, especially school and relationships. Her great aunt from the old country says she is like a bland meal, "no salt or pepper". But in junior year, everything changes. Her father takes a position on the Town Council, a popular boy in school becomes interested in her, and most importantly, the Hekademos Learning Center, a private school for 'troubled' students, moves into her quiet neighborhood amidst the protests of the entire town.

After seeing the School Regent out with a group of young guys just before Christmas, Michelle is convinced that there is something odd about them. Her curiosity gets the better of her and she embarks upon a mission to figure out what is really going on. After an embarrassing fall over the school wall, Michelle meets Elliot and her ordinary ‘bland’ life changes its course forever.

Elliot is no ordinary human. In fact, no one at the Hekademos Learning Center is. Beautiful and fierce, they have survived throughout the millennia by weaving in and out of human events. Through them, Michelle learns that history and myths from around the world are dotted with references to their kind. Michelle falls madly in love with the ever-striking and mysterious Elliot and, as much as he tries to fight it, he develops strong feelings for her as well. Although Elliot carries numerous painful memories from his many pasts, he disregards his own better judgment and the advice of his friends, and finds himself falling for Michelle‘s offbeat personality. Their feelings grow in intensity, but when History catches up with them, the difference between their life paths threatens to destroy any future that they might have had together.

Michelle learns that there are infinite shades of gray between black and white, and has to deal with the bundle of contradictory emotions called love. After some unexpected twists during a family trip to Europe, she has to trust her intuition in order to face the danger and uncertainty of being drawn into Elliot’s wondrous world. Ultimately, it is up to Michelle to make the split-second, life-altering decision that will either tear them apart forever, or give them another chance.

My review:
(Originally posted to Goodreads on August 19, 2011)

Before I began this book, I found myself in a reading slump. I decided to pick this book up because I had heard so many things about it. I knew before I even opened it that I would need something different and exciting to hold my attention. I got that and so much more.

First off, let me just say that I love A.J's writing style. I found it unique and fresh, lyrical even, and I enjoyed that the story was told in third person rather than the very popular first person. (Not that I have a problem with that) A.J's descriptions are out of this world. Everytime she described all of the guy's eye color, I found myself sighing and longing to look upon them myself. It was because of these descriptions that I found myself appreciating the cover more. The blue is a stunning color, after all.

I loved the characters. Michelle is sensitive and caring, but she is also incredibly strong and has a definite spark to her. I really enjoyed reading about her and found myself releating to Michelle, especially in the begining of the book. Elliot is the handsome and charming immortal with the tortured and complicated past. He struggles telling Michelle exactly what he is because he has yet to figure that out for himself. A character like this from any other author might have given me a headache. Like Michelle, we learn a lot of information in this 500 page book. But never once was I confused or lost.

I love how all of the guys from the school interact with one another. I loved how the characters did not immediately fall in love with each other. The fact that they slowly fell in love made the book even more magical. I love that there was a mixture of action, adventure, and romance. I loved that the book was emotional. The character's pain was palpable. I felt like crying, sighing, throwing the book across the room, and yelling.

The history laced into the story was another thing that I really enjoyed about the story. You could tell by all the details just how much time and effort went into researching the book.

The pacing is perfect, too. The begining starts off slow, but quickly builds and builds until you are at the edge of your seat. By the end, I was satisfied by the ending, but left craving the second installment like crazy!

If you are looking for something that is wonderful, action packed, romantic, full of history, twists and turns, and different from all of the other Paranormal YA books out there, then I suggest that you grab yourself a copy of this book. You won't be disappointed!

5/5

**Parts of this review were put into the review section of book 2 in the series Of Blood and Pulse which is out now!**

Happy Reading!
*Kristina*

No comments:

Post a Comment